Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Week 4 Reflection: Using Online Data and Generating an Argument

Using Online Data:
Chapter 6 of our textbook has encouraged me to use online data in my biology classes.  I have never really done so, at least not to that extent.  The text makes a good point that online data sets “extend the possibilities of inquiry beyond the limitations and constraints of available equipment and geographical locations.”  I think this is particularly true in biology since labs involving living things are quite restricted.  I was happy to read that research shows all levels of students “increased their science content knowledge and improved their inquiry performance” because this is a major concern of mine.  I still think it is valuable for students to generate their own data in the laboratory, but I recognize the benefits of using online data sets as well.  Each type of lab experience has its own advantages and I would think a course that utilizes a combination would be “the best of both worlds.”
I was not aware prior to reading the text that there were so many data sets available for teachers and students to use.  I appreciate the list of websites in the Life Science section at the end of the chapter.  They will be a great place to start!  I also found the Guidelines for Best Practice helpful.  Some of the topics I found particularly suitable for my students to analyze are migratory routes, tap water, population trends, and water monitoring.
I looked at some of the online data sets linked to the wiki.  The Atlas of the Biosphere maps and data sets through iteachSTEM would be excellent resources.  I especially liked the Human Impacts and Ecosystems sets. 

Generate an Argument instructional model:
I can definitely see the value in the Sampson and Grooms model to support scientific argumentation.  I agree that it is important for students to learn to think more like scientists and this model does a great job of encouraging that.  The four steps flow logically from one to the next and students are held accountable for their progress, both as groups (steps 2 and 3) and as individuals (step 4).

Putting this model into practice by designing my own classroom activity will be challenging, not only because it seems like it will take a long time to do so, but also because I might have to modify it to make it less daunting for many of my students who are very concrete learners.  I am curious to know if any research has been done concerning using this model with different levels of students.  I do think that this model will be easier for students of any level to follow than the Argument-Driven Inquiry model since the data is already provided for them.  The other concern I have is the amount of class time it will require for full implementation, especially as this same procedure should be used often to allow students to improve on these scientific and communicative skills.  I might be able to spend the time in one of my courses since I am the only teacher of that course, but in the other course I teach I am restricted by a curriculum and schedule that all the teachers of that course must follow.
I like the "Backward Faded Scaffolding" approach mentioned in the wiki.  I can envision designing the first lab experience of this method using the Generate an Argument model and then gradually leading the students through less teacher-centered and more student-centered activities.  I would think this tactic would make the students feel more comfortable as they participate in what might be their first inquiry-based course.

2 comments:

  1. You have brought up some valid points, not only for Generating an Argument Model, but for most inquiry approaches- and that is the time factor.
    These methods do take more time than traditional presentation formats. However, it seems we are entering, or have entered an era in education where content has taken a back seat to process. What I mean by this is the 21st c skill set are those critical thinking, argumentation, analyzing and communicating skills which are best addressed by the inquiry approach. The problem is we are in the middle of this switch- some educators push this, some are still focused on content and knowing facts for tests. As teachers we are the ones in the middle. It seems though there can be a balance between these two approaches as the switch takes over. In your case- you also have to factor in where the rest of your department is. Are they ready to incorporate these new approaches to education. I know a teacher who give the same lecture every year, at the same time, and get quite upset when something interrupts his schedule. He is an excellent lecturer, and gets good results from his students. Should he switch to a more inquiry based approach? I don't know if he could. Would he be as effective a teacher? I don't know. Maybe there are no concrete answers- do this, and this and this and you will be successful. Teaching is an art as well as a science, and the art part may be to apply what methods and techniques work for your students and you. I seem to have rambled quite a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,
    Thank you for your thoughtful response. I completely agree with your statement "Teaching is an art as well as a science, and the art part may be to apply what methods and techniques work for your students and you." That is something that I have always told my student teachers. What works for one teacher doesn't always work for another.

    ReplyDelete